Friday, March 7, 2008

Happy Friday: Good Reads

My friend Shoma first alerted me about this wonderful *free* online service called Good Reads where you can share books with your friends. How many times do you find yourself hearing about amazing books that your friends have read, only to go back home and forget the title or the mention all together? Good Reads is like a "Facebook" only for books. You share your favorite books, give them ratings or reviews and your friends get to see your list with emails on your latest reads. I thought this was the perfect way to get a virtual "book club" going for those of you who are busy or have friends spread out all over the world.

above clockwise: Some of my "Good Reads": I have so many friends who travel that "Eat,Pray, Love" was the perfect gift for their in-flight reading. My post earlier this week on Heidi's "Supernatural Cooking" had me thumbing through it again last night for more recipes to try. My friend Shoma has "Interpreter of Maladies" on her five star list. Annie Proulx, author of "Brokeback Mountain" wrote one of my favorite "get lost into another world" books "Close Range." The brutal, achingly beautiful life on the range is portrayed in this collection of short stories through her poetic voice. If you just want to forget your everyday, be a wild west rancher for the weekend and read this.

Happy Friday everyone--grab a good book and tuck yourself into a cafe! Next week I am posting a few wedding and event finds...including interviews and tips on planning from uber-talented florists and jewelry designers!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! I would love to get back in the book reading band wagon :)