Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Shaman Drum: Going Non-Profit

A quick addition: I posted earlier about my fond memories of being a part of Shaman Drum Bookshop. I discovered today that over the weekend there was an article in the Ann Arbor News that announced after twenty-seven years, owner Karl Pohrt's plans (above right) to turn the bookshop into a non-profit entity: "I don't think the book business in this country, as a business model, has worked for anybody. ...Ann Arbor is a wonderful book community, and so this is a good place to play with that, to experiment with new (business) models."

I personally remember when corporate giant Borders opened up on the corner. Shaman Drum still held its own, but not without its share of worries which has instilled in me the importance of supporting independent businesses. Karl's goal is to "turn Shaman Drum into a center for literary arts." Wow! What an amazing endeavor. And yes, I have always felt it was a hub for the literary arts. I am so glad to see the continued evolvement of this special place--I wish them all the best and hope that it will continue to inspire many other generations to come!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Shaman Drum! I will definitely have to pay a visit, sounds like a true gem.