Thursday, April 10, 2008

San Francisco Torch Relay

I interrupt our normal "design" posts on Shop Friends to post up some photos of the Olympic Torch Relay that occurred in San Francisco yesterday. It's not every day the Torch gets rerouted one block away from the shop & studio!

In actuality I was sitting in my car in traffic when it passed near our shop, bemoaning the thought that I had missed the run and the protests all together. But as I listened to the radio reports that the route was being diverted westbound, I put the pedal to the metal and found myself in the Marina running after a squadron of police down to the water.

above: Because of the incidents that occurred in Paris, this new route was devised and took many by surprise. Unexpectedly, I got a front row seat as I ran with fellow residents and what seemed like a mile of police alongside the torchbearers towards the Golden Gate Bridge.

above: The torch was so close (torch is right above the cop's helmet)!

above: I appreciated the many creative and determined protesters.

above: Ok, so maybe I can tie this all into Shop Friends by saying this... I so regret not jumping into my running shoes (which were sitting right there in the backseat) before taking off with my fellow residents, but Onex makes some darn good "running" heels! They aren't the best looking shoes...but I was able to run 3 miles in 2.5 inch heels chasing the torch down to Crissy Field and then back with only one blister. Go Onex, I am now a devotee!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so cool! i watched the news and they said they were playing hide and seek with the torch. that is so amazing you "ran" into it, ha. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I was one of the unfortunate ones stuck at Herman Plaza!

Anonymous said...

how exciting! you were apart of history!!!